Know Your Contract

Presenting sections of your contract in this convenient and easy to understand format is a new endeavor of the Burlington Education Association. The sections are our interpretation and should not be construed as advice. Before making any decisions or taking any action, you should consult the original language in your contract. BEA members may also consult their building representative. Please be patient as we gradually build this page. In time there will be a menu of topics. If you are interested in helping with this effort, please email

  • TC = Teacher Contract
  • PC = Paraeducator’s Contract

Class Sizes – TC

Class sizes are different depending on grade level. It’s also important to understand that averages are for the district, so class sizes may vary from school to school, but should not exceed the maximum number.

Average #Maximum #
Kindergarten & Grade 12327
Grades 2 & 32429
Grades 4-122632

Exceptions are made for physical education classes and special experimental classes (limited to one term).

Class size is also determined by the physical space of the classroom as follows:

Kindergarten: 50 square feet per student
Grades 1-12: 30 square feet per student

Class sizes were set up to ensure that students receive the best education possible. If you believe that you have an issue with your class size, you may consult Article VI, 6.3 and 6.8 of the Teachers’ Contract and/or your BEA building representative.

Tuition Reimbursement – TC

The Board has set aside the lump sum of $200,000 for teachers use for tuition reimbursement or to pay for educational workshops.

How can the money be used?

  • On tuition for a graduate class that does not cost more than the in-state price of 3 graduate credits at University of Vermont for the contract year.
  • On the cost of tuition or registration for a workshop, but not:
    • books
    • travel
    • service charges
    • registration fees
    • library fees
    • athletic fees
    • other charges

How do I get reimbursed?

  1. Log on to Talent Ed and find the Tuition Reimbursement (TR) form.
  2. Fill out the TR form before you begin your course or workshop [The District is stipulating 5 days before though this is not in the contract.]
  3. Include with the form proof of payment and a short description of the course.
  4. The District should reimburse you within 5 weeks of receiving your TR form and proof of payment.
  5. Within 6 weeks of completing your course, submit through Talent Ed documentation showing the grade you received. If you completed a workshop, submit your certificate of attendance or other similar documentation showing you were there.

Other things to know.

  • If the $200,000 allocated for a year is not used, it does not carry over to the next year.
  • Tuition funds are for July 1 – June 30 of each school year.
  • The district will not reimburse you if your cost is less than $30.00.
  • If you do not get a grade of B or better in your course, you will need to pay the district back in 1-4 payroll deductions by June 30.

For more information on tuition reimbursement see Article XIX, 19.7 of the Teachers’ Contract or contact BSD Human Resources.

Probation Period – PC

  • The probation period is for one year from the date you were hired.
  • You must have a successful evaluation at the end of the year in order to be removed from probation.
  • If you are terminated during the probationary period, you may not file a grievance.
  • You may not access the sick bank during the probation period.

What if I leave the district and then return?

You won’t have to go through another probationary period if the following are true:

  • You return to work within 24 months of when you left.
  • You successfully completed your probation period when you were originally hired.

You also have the right to:

  • Receive a pay rate that takes into consideration the experience you had with the district before you left.
  • Get back all seniority, benefits and sick leave that you earned while originally employed.

For more information on the probationary period see Article IV, 4.2 of the Paraeducators’ Contract. You may also consult with your BEA Building Representative or contact BSD Human Resources.

%d bloggers like this: